I used to absolutely hate moving house. My attitude has changed. I am not saying I want to move house every year, no I don’t want that. I also want to stay in the same area where I currently live. However, I no longer dread moving to a different house. In fact I am looking forward to moving and discovering the good points of a different residence.
Why has my attitude changed?
1. I am no longer resistant to change I used to be afraid of change in general. I wanted things to stay the same. Now I have accepted that change is inevitable so I may as well embrace it. Although not all change is good, some is. Sometimes I can make change work for me if I am open to seeing opportunities.
There is a saying, 'A change is as good as a holiday,' and this can be true, although I don't want to replace all my holidays with a change.
2. I have decluttered Over the last few years I have decluttered. The result is having less to pack in boxes to move. There is less unpacking at the other end. Another benefit is that I have less fear of something being damaged during the move. Things aren't so important to me any more. I do have some possessions which are precious but I don't feel that my stuff owns and controls me.
3. I have done this before I have confidence I can cope with the move because I have moved a number of times before in my life. Each time I have adapted to a new house and found some favourable aspects to it. There will be some really good points to the next house and I will be able to find solutions for many of its shortcomings.
4. It's a chance to shake things up Yes, it is easy to get into a rut and stick to the same routines. Moving to a different house means I will look at some things differently. This will have a flow on effect and make me look for new things to do and new people to spend time with.
5. It has made me ask 'What is a house?' Whether one lives in a house, unit, apartment or whatever, it is a building where one is protected from the elements. It is the place where I 'live' and where I keep my furniture and belongings. It is where I spend time with family and friends. It isn't who I am.
There was a time when I intended to live in the same house for fifty years or more. Due to circumstances, that didn't happen. That doesn't scare or frustrate me now because I know I am adaptable.
6. I have learnt to plan ahead for a move Having moved numerous times during my life, I have learnt the importance of planning. I find it easiest if I make lists and pack a few boxes at a time. And labelling those boxes is important. Organising a removalist ahead of time makes me feel calmer about the process.
Moving house doesn't always go smoothly, perhaps it never does, but there are 5 Good Things About Moving House. Over the years I have learnt things will get sorted out in the end, we will have internet and life will go on.