We are all familiar with the benefits of exercise. However, we reap the rewards of physical activity such as the release of feel-good endorphins, after the activity. Many of us unfortunately have a short memory for this delayed reward, and the immediate gratification of being comfy on a couch is much more appealing!
What if you could find a way to not have to coax and wheedle yourself into doing exercise? What if you just couldn’t wait to put to put on those running shoes?
Well I believe the trick is, quite simply, to make exercise enjoyable and fun, and most importantly, rewarding while you do it. Here are some ideas about how to make exercise something you love and that will help you get that body you want. (Kind of like having celery that tastes like chocolate).
• Dance. Dancing is great because 1) you can do it alone or with others 2) It’s also a fun and creative way to express yourself, keeping in mind you can be at home, alone! 3) You can dance at high intensity, or with relaxed movements so is great for all levels of fitness.
Belly-dancing is an example of one type of dancing and it’s a fun way to really work on your abdominal muscles, express yourself and let go!
• Group exercise classes. This is great if you are the type of person who feels comfortable in the company of others. Another idea for group exercises is to bring along a close friend. Zumba in particular is a group exercise class with a variety of fun moves. You are too busy feeling funky to notice this is also good for you! Group exercise classes in general work for many people as they enjoy the company of others while doing something physical at the same time
• Aqua-aerobics in the summer. You get to feel like a water ballerina, have company, and enjoy respite from the heat
• Bush-walking, walking through a rainforest, or Roma Street Parklands. You won’t even know you are exercising as you take in the intricate beauties of nature
• Go bowling with friends or by yourself. You are working your tummy picking up the ball, and your muscles while carrying it!
• Iceskating or Rollerskating – as you glide along, this just can’t feel like exercise – it’s too much fun – but I would recommend doing it with a friend
• Throw a frisbee – go the park with a mate or your dog
• Rockclimbing and abseiling are fun for those who enjoy adventure
If you really still can’t find exercise fun, here’s a tongue-in-cheek idea: shopping! Make a point of walking briskly and in and out of each shop. If you buy anything, distribute the weight equally on both sides. Find the escalators and make a point of walking up and down them instead of riding them.
Walking up shopping centre escalators is great exercise. You don't have to go to the gym to do step-ups!
Now you can fit into that new dress that you bought during your shopping workout!
Images courtesy of disco-dancing-clip-art and can-stock-photos