It takes time, but the rewards are really there. Image courtesy of Ralf Roletschek at commons.wikimedia.org
I often start my day driven by some primary urge to complete some tasks. When I think about what these ‘daily “to-dos” are, one of them is to invariably write a few fairly good articles. Now why do I want to do that?
1. I enjoy it. Plain and simple.
2. I have a desire to be “successful.” I unashamedly admit that I do desire to eventually build an income writing. This may or may not occur.
I will be honest. Eventually, I would like to be financially independent. I would like to have some money for:
Myself and my cat: own my own home one day.
For my family - my nieces - have pretty things for them, and my other family who I do love.
To feel I am a worthwhile citizen in society, and that I have something to offer.
I do not need to earn money to do this, of course. We all know that volunteers make equally worthwhile contributions.
However, when I earn money for the articles I like, I know they are valued by some people, and that I have made a difference.
Importantly, I try to balance these urges with the urges of those who are nearest and dearest to me.
Why do I want to do that? This is because I want to be a person who values their own needs, but yet can relate and connect to others on this planet.
Being an introvert, I do this with those nearest and dearest to me.
1. Listening more. Getting a sense of where others are at.
2. Reading others’ articles. I learn something. I also want to tell the other person I value what I read, and it has helped me, because no doubt they also want to know that they have contributed something.
3. By reading others’ articles on Self Avenue, I am also helping them financially.
Yes, as a writer you can fulfil your needs and contribute more than you realise.
Another great article! I too want to earn an income from my writing, but I do it regardless of the money. It would be so wonderful to be financially independent and able to support myself through my love of writing too. So good on you for putting this out there. Lovely. S