Home    Subscribe    Write for Us    FAQ    Contact    HubGarden    Login

Resolutions And 2016

by Marie Vonow (follow)
Chief editor: readyforpets.com Blogs:https://minamaries.blogspot.com.au https://simpleselfimprovement.blogspot.com.au/
Life (597)      Goals (80)      New Year (17)      Resolutions (11)     


2016 diary
Image:Marie Vonow

With the start of yet another new year just around the corner, many people are thinking about new year's resolutions. Each person who is in the habit of making resolutions has their own approach to the process. Do you make resolutions at the start of each year? Do you find yourself making the same resolutions each year and then breaking them?

One of my favourite movies is Bridget Jones's Diary. Bridget starts her year making resolutions to lose weight, give up smoking, cut down on her alcohol intake and find a sensible boyfriend. A number of these resolutions will feature on the lists of many people as they look ahead to 2016.

Some people find they are more likely to achieve their goals if they are specific about them. If they are trying to lose weight, they find it helpful to state how much and by when. This approach doesn't work for others who then find they feel depressed when they 'fail' to reach their goal. It is possible this will lead to overeating and a worsening of the situation. (Maybe they didn't need to lose weight in the first place.)

There are those who find it works better for them to aim at just eating more healthily. They may decide to follow the 80/20 rule of eating healthily for 80% of the time and relaxing the rules for the other 20%. They may not set a number of kilograms to lose.

Some plan to generally increase the amount of exercise they do rather than state they will walk/run/follow an exercise regime for a particular amount of time four times a week or whatever. Others need specific goals and feel satisfaction in achieving them.

There are people who, like Bridget Jones, decide to keep track of their progress in a diary. Others choose to fill in checklists or draw a graph. A graph can be a useful visual record for weight loss. These things don't work for everyone and can in fact act to discourage those who see records as making the task more difficult.

It can be helpful to find a friend to talk to about new year's resolutions. I spend time chatting about my resolutions and goals with one of my friends. We acknowledge some of the goals on our lists are works in progress and so we are aiming to move ahead rather than expecting to fully achieve them in the space of a single year.

Over time I have changed my approach from being specific to more general. Also I am now more realistic about what I can achieve and don't set myself up to fail. Currently my goals are more about trying new activities and not trying to be everything to everyone.

New Year's Resolutions work for some but not for others. Perhaps you like the idea of resolutions but prefer to make them at a quieter time of the year. There are different ways to approach making resolutions and if the way you have been doing it doesn't seem to work, well change how you do it. Alternatively, see how 2016 goes without making these resolutions at all. You may feel a burden has been lifted and that may work better for you.


# Goals
# Life
# New Year
# Resolutions


.
I like this Article - 3
More Articles by Marie Vonow
There is a well known saying, “Nice guys finish last
142 views
Most people are familiar with the saying, 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
128 views
Jane Austen said, ‘ There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort
150 views
Many people enjoy looking at the plants in their garden
127 views
I enjoy many things that are free
147 views
Writing has some advantages over many other hobbies
105 views
view all articles by Marie Vonow
Articles by Marie Vonow on Other Hubs
ID: 40649
[ Submit a Comment ]
Trending Articles
In this day and age, many people hire professional escorts because they what to try something ne...
11868 views
These days we are nagged not only by the real life people we interact with but our cars, phones an...
89 views
For years, you’ve put in the work to earn your degree
88 views
We live in a culture that emphasizes winning, and in many circumstances people will use physic...
84 views
In Part 1, we explored the basics of creating a budget after graduation and focused on issues re...
83 views
The first time I moved across the country, the trip took three days by train and covered nearl...
83 views
When you think of dangerous jobs, a few roles might come to mind
74 views
You don’t have to be rich to make money, you just have to be practical
3728 views
You’ve probably heard the saying, “a house is not a home
64 views
Ever since the new year kicked off, social media channels have been abuzz with "new year, new me...
2938 views
Categories
 
Copyright 2012-2018 OatLabs ABN 18113479226. mobile version