With a month to go until Summer is upon us, here are some reasons to embrace the upcoming sunny days. Image courtesy of Wakai-nai at freedigitalphotos.net
I think I am a “Winter Person” – I love the fact that, for example, even in the middle of the day, the cooler weather permits enjoyment in going outside without having to languish due to oppressive humidity.
However, with one month to go until Summer officially starts, I am purposefully trying to become cognisant of the ‘pluses’ associated with the hot and humid weather.
1. The sun arises early, and sets later. Therefore, even if in the middle of the day, the heat is not conducive to activity, we still have early morning and up until even six in the evening and the seemingly longer days allow for great productivity.
2. It’s great ‘beach’ weather. As long as we follow the advice of “slip, slop, slap” to protect our skin, summer is a great time for swimming and surfing, and getting a safe tan.
3. Iceblocks, icecreams and delicious summer salads. During winter, preparing food often will need more time, to cook say a hot dinner. However, during summer we can get out those great raw vegetables and juicy fruit, like delicious mangos which taste fantastic!
4. Many people find that summer uplifting to one’s mood. The brightness associated with summer months has been associated with a decrease in “Seasonal Affective Disorder.” This is sadness or depression associated with a lack of sunshine.
5. Time to get out great summer outfits. With the hot weather upon us, we can forgo the layers of clothing that keep us warm. There are some very pretty summer dresses and skirts that look fantastic!!
6. An opportunity for evening meals, by yourself, or with family and friends. For example, a great BBQ with a side salad.
7. Cold, cold showers. I love the fact that in Summer you can turn on the shower, and not have to wait until it warms up, while you stand outside waiting for it to warm up!
8. Easier to get out of bed. In winter, it can be difficult to force yourself out of bed and face the cold chill of the mornings. Conversely, in summer, you can arise at five a.m without fear of freezing to death, and with the knowledge that the sun is already rising!
9. Fans of cricket and tennis have plenty of great television viewing to look forward to!
So, get out those hats, sunscreen, and pretty summer frocks, and embrace the extended days that Summer promises to bring!