I love flicking through garden and home style magazines. Perhaps I have picked up such a magazine in a waiting room or better still, at a cafe. Now and then I buy second hand magazines. Occasionally I watch a home/lifestyle program on television. Sometimes I get ideas I can adapt to use in my own home but I don't want to copy what I see. I am an individual and I want my home to reflect that.
Each one of us is an individual. We like different colours and shades. Some people like a pale palette, others love colour. There are those who go for a classic style and others who want retro or ultra modern. Those who like a wide variety of styles may be most comfortable in a home with an eclectic mix.
How can you make your home reflect your personality?
1. Don't copy others It doesn't matter if something is the latest trend in interior decorating, don't slavishly copy what you see in magazines, what your friends have or the homes presented on television.
2. Work out what you like Before moving house I cut out lots of pictures from magazines of things I liked. I stuck them into a scrap book. This was done over several months. Gradually I started to see a pattern of what I liked at that time. I found my taste had changed over the years. Some things I used to like I was actually tired of and I wanted a change.
3. Use accessories which reflect your taste When it comes to decor it is easy to use things you really like to decorate and put your personal touch on your home.
These days there are numerous ways to decorate your home your way while staying within a budget -
Buy new from bargain shops
Go to garage sales
Check out second hand shops
Pick things up from markets
Buy through Gum Tree
Use Freecycle if it is available where you live
Make your own
Accept hand me downs from family and friends
You may need to add a coat of paint in a favourite colour or add stencils to make a pre-loved item personal.
4. Display items featuring a favourite theme Do you have a thing about elephants, frogs or cats? My thing is owls. You don't have to fill your house with 'your thing' but you may like to show your personality with a couple of shelves where a collection of china cats, teapots or whatever is on display. A couple of cushions or a poster or two featuring whatever it is that makes you happy makes your home different from the place next door.
A few of the owls I have collected over the years Image:Marie Vonow
5. Don't be afraid of being different You may feel worried others will not like the colours, and accessories you have chosen because they aren't current or trendy. If purple makes you happy but it isn't on trend, use it anyway. You are the person living in your house and you have the right to choose what you like.
Items that are quirky or whimsical can add a touch of fun. 6 Whimsical Items In My Home. Making your own will boost your creativity and give you something to talk about with guests.
Anyone can copy what others present as the current trend but it takes an individual to express their personality in their own way.