Not everyone succumbs to the pressures from society to be perfect, get married, settle down and have children. Yes, there are hundreds of blogs written by young mothers who have done this and there are many more who follow, bookmark and email them relying solely on every bit of love and support whether online or off. Not everyone has a plan and that’s ok. There is no need to panic.
Then I started to remember MY plan and the list I developed that accompanied the experiences that changed me. As it grew my list became a blunt reminder that even though I was getting older, I was growing wiser and now finally able to give others advice. It helped me realise that no, I had not been grabbed at gun-point and robbed of my youth against my will instead I was waltzing gracefully in the right direction wearing, for once, really comfortable shoes!
In case you’re wondering, part of my plan was to be too busy defining my 30’s to let my 30’s define me. So here is my list, in no particular order.
1. Drinking coffee will never be your biggest problem.
2. The desire for perfection is a flaw in itself.
3. Real friends will love you no matter what.
4. The only thing you’ll successfully make in the kitchen is a mess.
5. Superstition is a waste of worry.
6. Your parents can’t fix all your problems but they are a great source of advice.
7. When in doubt ask yourself “what would Oprah do?” You know she’ll always say yes to chocolate, pizza and ice-cream.
8. Take compliments gracefully and give them freely.
9. The wardrobe fairies are not stealing your hangers, you just shop too much.
10. Unresolved guilt can be more painful than a broken heart.
11. Attitude is everything and optimism a very powerful trait.
12. Marriage does not bring maturity.
13. Facebook will only enhance your vanity-stop checking your Facebook so much.
14. Disconnect to connect- put that device down and practise the art of conversation.
15. Do what you love and love what you do. Happiness will ensue.
16. Women who claim to get along better than men are trouble.
17. Pay it forward, Karma always makes a full circle.
18. Change is as good as a holiday. Now picture yourself in the Bahamas and start changing.
19. Embrace diversity, at the end of the day, we all bleed RED.
20. There is no such thing as PMS, so stop using it as an excuse to be a bitch.
21. You sisters will always be your best friends, no matter what life stage you are at.
22. Being kind to strangers is good for your soul.
23. When you’re sad- think happy thoughts. A short burst into the happy dance works wonders, it doesn’t matter where you are, club, car or kitchen.
24. When you start to feel clucky- buy a PUPPY!
25. It’s perfectly normal to have an ‘emergency’ stash of chocolate.
26. You’ve got to stop saying “whatever”.
27. According to some people, you’re too old to go clubbing.
28. Botox will eventually get cheaper
29. Half the fun in ‘finding your calling’ is not being able to find it, but think of the fun you’ll have along the way.
30. Your 30th birthday is just the 9th anniversary of your 21st.